Monday, January 28, 2013

God Says, "I've Got This!"

I was reminiscing the other day and felt led to remind everyone about the "miracle quarters" story from last year. If you remember, Carey and I went shopping before last year's mission trip to get the last final items that we needed, but we weren't sure we'd have enough money. Luckily, God was faithful inspite of our doubt and we had three quarters to spare! Well, something similar happened to me last week...

Imagine a perfect Tuesday - the sun shining down with warm beams and a gentle, cool breeze that makes you want to move to Colorado (like right now, not in a couple years). Now imagine your perfect Tuesday being ruined by a nail in a tire that nearly prevents you from making it safely off the highway. No big deal, though. "Old" Leah would have thrown a hissy fit and growled at everyone for the rest of the day. "New" Leah, however (the Leah who has been slightly polished since becoming a mom), was able to recognize the positive points:
1. I made it safely to the baby-sitter's house to drop off Joe and thus had a safe place to change my tire (and no baby to worry about in the car).
2. I was dressed most appropriately in well-fitting, dark dress clothes that would hide any leftover residue from changing a tire.
3. It really couldn't have been a NICER day. Really, no exaggeration here.
4. There was a fire station across the street. If all else failed, I could ask them for help. But that would be a last resort, of course!

So, I took off the bad tire and put on the spare, all the while singing in my head to keep my spirits up. Soon everything was changed and put away and I was close to singing my "He-Woman" battle cry. Until I realized the spare was flat. I DID need the firemen. Darn.

I drove my three good tires and my halfway-aired-up spare tire across the street. Went in the reception area to find no one there. I knocked on the garage door. Nothing. I went to the back and knocked a little harder on another door. Still nothing. Then I banged the crap out of the other two doors that were left. NOTHING! I couldn't help but think, "Gosh, where is a fireman when you need him?!"

Then I did what any other twenty-something female would have done - I called my parents. Mom said she would come rescue me and we could go air up the spare tire, but luckily the firemen arrived back at the station soon after our conversation. A nice gentlemen aired up my spare tire and even put it back on the car (which was nice because my right arm was literally going to fall off if I had to put on ONE MORE TIRE).

On the way to work I realized I'd have to shell out at least $100 to get a new tire. It caused instant stress. Here I was trying to help my husband go to Costa Rica and some crazy person decided to lose a nail right where my car was going to drive (yes, I became more petty at this point). I told God that I didn't understand. He whispered on my heart, "Relax, Leah." As I continued to mentally whine, I was reminded of the three "miracle" quarters. We had enough then, and I instantly knew that I would have enough now. God had already provided the funds for this new tire. I didn't know where the money would come from, but I knew God was more than capable of figuring it out so I wouldn't have to.

After school I went to get my tire changed and the gentleman behind the counter politely replied that my flat tire was still under warranty. And he told me it would cost $23 to get a new tire put on my car. My mouth fell open and I asked him to repeat the amount.

I wanted to kiss the man behind the counter. No, not the fireman from earlier, but the man who saved me money (but don't worry, I refrained)! There was no way he could have realized the blessing God allowed him to be a part of. And the amazing reminder is God says, "Leah, I've got this!" even with a flat tire.

And he's got the whole Costa Rica thing too. Just like he did last year. My heart is full of his provision and thankful for reminders of his faithfulness. His mercies really are, "New every morning," even when those mornings involve a flat tire! I hope my recollection blesses you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment